Wednesday, September 19, 2012

If There Is You Can See It

Our embarrassment of Jake Gyllenhaal riches yields an unexpected but delightful surprise, especially for anyone who won't be able to get to New York to see Jake on stage: A video sneak peek of Jake and the cast of If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet:



Definite spoilers for the play, especially Jake's accent. I wouldn't want to watch it until seeing the actual play, but what a treat!

The great stuff continues with this hilarious article about Jake and Michael Pena's relationship. My favorite part coincides niceley with this back-slapping, bro-hugging video:


After spending so much time together, the two actors have an easy rapport, finishing each others’ sentences, performing convincing imitations of one another and chuckling together at their in-jokes. In End of Watch, their dialog is spiced with a seemingly endless stream of “bros” and “dudes.” And unsurprisingly, Gyllenhaal and Peña are extremely partial to using the B and the D words for emphasis in conversation. Particularly Peña.

“‘Dude, dude, dude, dude, dude.’ He’s a big repeater of one word,” Gyllenhaal said of his movie foil. “‘Dude, dude, dude, dude, dude, dude, dude, bro, bro, bro, bro, bro, bro, bro, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!’”

The two roared with laughter.




And from RedEye Chicago:

Like their characters on screen, L.A. native Gyllenhaal and Pena have become close friends. But that bond didn't happen right away, according to writer/director Michael Ayer, who told MCT the actors were barely on speaking terms initially. They couldn't agree on anything, Pena has said. ...

Their friendship is apparent in how the actors now praise each other.

"Jake was awesome," Pena said. "He was like, ‘This is our movie.' You don't always get that. He's a friend now for life. He wanted me to do the best that I could possibly do. That does something to your psyche. He really took care of me."

Watching Pena rock his role is one of the things Gyllenhaal liked most about the job. He described Pena's performance as "absolutely compelling and inspired."

"For us that partnership, becoming brothers and coming from two different places definitely as people, was key," said Gyllenhaal, who also executive produced the film. "It took us a while to become close, but we are really incredibly close now.


Ask Men:



Under Jake's skin:



The whole gang again here.

Update with a bunch of videos:

Jake and Michael talk about using the camera - some different stuff here:



Michael on how the movie changed Jake:



Another Jake interview:


End Of Watch - Interview met Jake Gyllenhaal by HitFix

Audio interview with Jake - 17 minutes:



At about the 10-minute point, the interviewer asks him for a funny story about Heath. Jake seems caught off guard and can say only "I miss him."

Jake wasn't street smart. Hope they'll put up the longer interview here. But check out the Michael Pena interview to see him achieve a lifelong dream.

And in case you missed it or want to see it again, Jake talks dance moves:


There's another clip there where Jake talks about going bald for his craft.

(Video courtesy of Broadway World and Roundabout Theatre.)

26 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks UV no problem for me since I cant see the play but it shows some of Jake and his accent even tough I did have some trouble understanding him.

UltraViolet said...

Yeah, I've heard some people say it's hard to understand him. I think it fits the character probably.

It's great that we can all get a glimpse of Jake onstage.

Not sure what this tweet means. Was he shopping or signign boots?

Line outside Kenneth Cole just to see Jake Gyllenhaal? Didn't realize he was still big in 2012


Maybe this explains it?

At the VIP screening of #EndofWatch right now in the city. #Gyllenhaal #Film #Reserved

Tweet about the play:

Just watched If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet. Amazing use of set and space, acting & accents were pretty good too! #IfThereIsIHaventFoundItYet#JakeGyllenhaal #NYC #newyork

UltraViolet said...

@RTC_NYC #IfThereIs was fantastic , hilarious,and very touching. A great day of theatre. And the set design was incredible.

Also, if people can't see that embedded video, you can watch it at the link and I think Stephanie has it at IHJ.

bobbyanna said...

Wow. This is a great find, UV!!

Mary,maybe it's the video, but Jake seems to be talking faster than he was when I saw the play. I had trouble understanding him a couple of times in this clip, but I didn't have any trouble understanding him at the actual performance. The audience reactions in the clip were cool, too!

Monica said...

I love British accent ... love love love

is a great video and very good for those who will not watch the play.

Thanks!

Chica said...

Thanks so much for finding and posting this sneak preview (for me!) of Jake on stage. He was a bit hard to understand at times from the video, I love the set!

To answer a few questions from the previous pist on my Jake sighting in front of the Roundabout theater this afternoon while he was taking a cig.brake. There were a few people around him but they left him alone.

We did make eye contact and he had a look of either she recognizes me but she ain't saying anything or do I know her, LOL!!

bobbyanna said...

Mark Kennedy‏@KennedyTwits

"Just saw jake gyllenhaal's American stage debut and was SERIOUSLY impressed. I await our off-Broadway reviewer's thoughts"
Mark Kennedy is the Theatre critic for the AP.

I saw another tweet from another theatre reporter who saod he'd be interviewing Jake tomorrow. I'm wondering if tonight was the press preview?

UltraViolet said...

Some tweets and posts:

Saw two good movies this past week, "Perks of a Wallflower" a well acted coming of age story, and "End of Watch" a gritty Police Crime Story, W/ Jake Gyllenhaal, who was also in the very well Directed Off-Broadway play misfits in a family that I saw today, called "If there is, I haven't found it Yet."

Just saw jake gyllenhaal's American stage debut and was SERIOUSLY impressed. I await our off-Broadway reviewer's thoughts!

After much deliberation, I issue my verdict: Shaved head Jake Gyllenhaal? Still foxy.

End of the Watch is a really great movie. Jake Gyllenhaal should shave his head more often.

Just watched If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet. Amazing use of set and space, acting & accents were pretty good too!

I posted this on my FB: Omfg."If There is I Haven't Found It Yet" was phenomenal. Reminded me all the things I <3 about playwriting

It was great! We didn't want it to be over. I'd like to take my daughter to another show! Good excuse for me to see it 2nd time :))

#IfThereIs was great!! From the acting (esp Jake & Annie), the story & the creative set...two big thumbs up!!!

@RTC_NYC Hey, "If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet," was a great show! Thanks for the awesome performance!

@RTC_NYC #IfThereIs was fantastic , hilarious,and very touching. A great day of theatre. And the set design was incredible.


I think there were a couple of repeats in there from earlier posts - sorry.

From the twitter feed of the reporter who did the Daily Beast story:

"Bro, bro, bro, dude, dude, dude" I talk to Gyllenhaal and Pena about bonding over Tae Kwon Do kicks + attempted murder

Amy Kaufman ‏@AmyKinLA (LA Times writer)
I love them!!

they were cool. But that "I love you, man" moment in the invu was heavy, deep and real.

UltraViolet said...

I saw something about a reporter covering it, too, Bobbyanna. I guess we'll see. Fingers crossed.

bobbyanna said...

Well, I just caught Anna Kendricks on Conan, and she's delightful. Talked about Jake a lot, and getting the guys tased, etc. and they showed a clip from the movie. The wedding dance. It was hilarious. Jake break-dancing.

bobbyanna said...

From twitter:

"the stars were out for @boniver tonight! wilde, sudeikis, emma watson, jake gyllenhaal... @radiocity was rocking"

Anonymous said...

David Limacher ‏@Limacher78
film critic for @IRATEFILM

@EndOfWatchMovie saw End of Watch last night and my review will be posted by @IRATEFILMS, this movie goes BEYOND what I thought possible!

I hope it is a good thing!

UltraViolet said...

Just added a bunch of clips in the second part of the post, including an audio interview that is worth listening to. Jake laughs a lot, says like a lot and is asked about Heath. It's nice to hear Jake talk at length a bit.

Jake Gyllenhaal is a serious badass. How he can just get so much into character is amazing. It's too bad there's not another Christopher Nolan Batman film for him to star in.

Jake and Micheal remind me of my friends that are cops. That unabashed, crude and poignant humor remains true in film. #endofwatch

Just saw "If There Is, I haven't Found it Yet" - and thoroughly enjoyed it.


Rotten Tomatoes is missing a few unposted negative reviews out there, but lots of positive ones, too.

Viv said...

Wow!!!Roger Ebert gave EOW 4 out of 4 !!

Thank you you,Roger, even though I think you are way too kind to many movies which I think are medicore before.XD

Roger Ebert 4 stars said...

End of Watch" is one of the best police movies in recent years, a virtuoso fusion of performances and often startling action. Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña are Taylor and Zavala, two Los Angeles street cops who bend a few rules but must be acknowledged as heroes. After too many police movies about officers who essentially use their badges as licenses to run wild, it's inspiring to realize that these men take their mission — to serve and protect — with such seriousness they're willing to risk their lives.

3:11 AM said...

Oops Alredy posted, sorry Viv:)

Anonymous said...

http://roxie-richter.tumblr.com/image/31912857663

Office of Nancy Pelosi said...

Thanks so much UV for this clip, what a treat for all of us who won't be able to see him on stage. I was blown away with his accent, it's quote good. A bit hard to understand but the accent is on the mark.

I'm a bit more anxious about the official reviews of the play than the BO of EOW. The movie is getting good reviews, and from one of my favorite reviewer Roger!

sass said...

Morning everyone,
So happy to see Jake and Michael and read all the fantastic reviews!
TY UV for so much...amazing.
Can't wait until tomorrow...
s

sass said...

Meant to post that I just watched a clip of Jake and Anna dancing on Kelly and Michael...WOW...loved every second of it! I did see some pictures of them dancing here and there, but watching them dance, especially Jake, blew me away...

bobbyanna said...

Just read a comment on twitter from someone who saw Jake on TV this morning, and said bearded Jake resembles Al Pacino in "Carlito's Way." I can see it.:)

Jake got a lot of love from the audience, too.

Mary said...

Im a little nervous about the play reviews too but encouraged about the good reviews EOW is getting.

Cant wait to see Jake on K/M.

Anonymous said...

Rikki The Creator ‏@RikkiMaa

Jake Gyllenhaal & Michael Pena are in the hood this morning. Love how we're all rocking the same color schem http://instagr.am/p/PzIom7O7Ei/


bobbyanna said...

Interesting stuff I've learned about Michael Pena: He plays base guitar in his own band, he and his wife have a four yr old son, and he likes to box.

Well, tonight is opening night!!
Hope all goes well and we get lots of tweets and photos.

Rachel said...

Nice interview with Jake and Brian O'Byrne in HuffPo today.

UltraViolet said...

These are fun, exciting times, Sass! Jake is in a whirlwind.

Bobbyanna, Michael seems like an interesting guy. It's been fun to learn about him. I don't know if you watched the video where he's on the Bozo set, but he's hilarious.

It is a great story, Rachel! Just put up a post for it :)