Tuesday, June 15, 2010
You might remember my fascination with Moscow Jake. That whole trip was so unexpected and produced so many gems that it might be my favorite part of the whole PoP extravaganza. With the aid of online translation services, I took a look at a few interviews Jake did while in Russia. I don't know if Jake was more comfortable in the setting or if the local interviewers were bolder, but Jake talked about some things that he usually avoids.
From Everyone chooses where he is born:
- Your father is a director and your mother, a writer. Did they have a strong influence on your development?
- My father often was not home, but I still felt his authority in our household. Parents have to have very great influence, which I still feel. But in general I think that everyone chooses the family in which they are born.
- Interesting. On what faith do you base this?
- I'm a somewhat of a Buddhist. Therefore, I believe that we each selects our fate in order to understand something new and necessary about ourselves.
- Your father - Christian, mother - Jewish. But you are suddenly a Buddhist?
- I think that the divorce of my parents, and everything that preceded it, influenced this.
- What preceded it?
- I don't mean family scandals. Just that people change over time, and their paths diverge. Some relationships last a lifetime; others for a shorter period. This doesn't mean they weren't happy with each other. My parents lived together more than thirty years. That's a long time, and I respect their decision. I love them no less now than before. ...
- It's no secret that you were a friend of Heath Ledger's. You didn't notice anything strange about his behavior?
- No, I always admired him. He was nervous, it's true. And he was a very sensitive person. But to survive in Hollywood, you have to be thick-skinned.
- And how you survive in Hollywood?
- I meditate.
In another interview, Jake mentions Reese:
- Hello. I'm fascinated by Moscow. You have such a beautiful and sympathetic people.
- Thank you. So, perhaps you'll stay here?
- With pleasure. You know, I'm very nice with the ladies, a real gentleman. After parting with Reese Witherspoon, I'm still single. But here surrounded by such beautiful girls, I would find happiness. ...
- Has your life changed since you've become a star?
- Of course! When I came here, I was waiting for a bath with champagne and a beautiful girl, catering to my whims. This is a joke. To be honest, I don't feel like a star. The only thing that impresses me is respect from people I've always looked up to. This happened after the Oscar nomination for "Brokeback Mountain." That professional recognition gave me a lot of exciting opportunities and a sense of confidence.
I've seen this quote about Reese in several articles:
- Reese and I really don't communicate now. After splitting from her, I haven't had a serious relationship. I'm single.
It's hard to know, without a video, if Jake actually mentioned her specifically or if her name was added in by the reporters. I'd love to hear/see for myself!
In this Russian interview, Jake talks about the "WMD" aspect of PoP and whether it's overtly political. He also teases the interviewer about the "novelty" of her questions. (There's a voiceover translation, but you can hear Jake underneath.)
Here's the Moscow press conference. It's harder to hear but fun to watch the interaction between Jake and Gemma, especially. This is a link to a story about the conference. If you google translate it, some of the conference might make more sense :)
This video needs no translation:
In totally unrelated, non_russian news, Jake was spotted leaving the Dodgers game on Sunday: